Hello everyone! Unless WordPress’ stupid scheduling system messes up on me again, you should be seeing this on February 1st, which means IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!!! As it says in the title, I’m 25 today, which is kind of horrifying because that means I’m 1/4th of the way to 100 and I’m not ready for that shit. Jokes about my extensional dread of being old and irrelevant aside, not is when I like to look to the future and talk about what I hope to accomplish in the next 12 months. I already did my “looking back” post near the end of December last year, but let’s recap:
- I moved out. To be honest this was only a couple of weeks ago, but as it was one of the big things I wanted before turning 25, I’m going to go ahead and count it.
- I started this site. I even registered the domain name.
- I started getting review codes. I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t posted nearly as much as I would have liked. I was aiming for 1000 words written and published a day, then started to settle for one post a day…then settled again for posting at least a few times a week. But, I have made it to the point were I’m getting review codes and press releases, witch is nice and been a big help.
- I got one of my idols to reblog some of my work. Moviebob reblogged an editorial I wrote, which was super awesome. I wanted to get something at least liked gy either him, Laura Kate or Jim Sterling, and I got it. Technically Jim Sterling also retweeted me, but I’m not going to count that as it was a joke tweet about how long it was since the last FistShark episode.
That’s a lot of pretty great stuff. There was more that I talked about in my looking back post, but you can read that HERE if you’d like. Now lets start looking towards the future. What do I hope to get done this year?
- I want to be done with community college. If all goes well, next quarter will be my last at my community college and i’ll be transferring to a university to get my journalism degree. While that does mean I should also be starting the school I hope to get into this year as well, I’m not adding that to the list just yet. I mean, yeah I hope it happens and that my GPA is up to snuff in order to get in, but my main concern is going to be getting my AA.
- This is the big one: I want to get fucking paid. And no, I don’t just mean I want to get a job. I want to get paid for writing about games. I missed my chance at becoming a freelancer for Polygon a little while back because I didn’t have a good enough computer. I got all the parts for the one I got now about a week after they stopped looking at it took me three weeks just to get it working properly. So, this year, that’s the end goal, getting some kind of paid work. Either freelance, staff work or just getting big enough to run ads on my site or to justify starting a patreon. Realistically, I’m hoping for freelance work, but that’s fine with me. This is also another one I almost already accomplished too by the way. Someone wanted me to post an sponsored article (from them, not by me) about their site and was willing to pay for the privilege. Unfortunately, it was a real money gambling site and something about the email made me uncomfortable about doing business with them, so I just kinda….deleted the email without saying anything….i’m not good at telling people no, okay.
- I want to get better at editorials. I’ve only written a few for the site, but i’ve not been too happy with any of them. So this year I’d like to change that. I’d like to post at least one editorial that I’m truly satisfied with before I turn 26.
And that’s my big three goals for this year. Now comes the part were everybody stops reading: the selfish “gimmie-gimmie” part. I don’t expect anything to come out of this, but I’m going to ask anyway. While I will include links to stuff I want in case any of you have too much money and want to burn some of it, That’s not what I’m asking for this year. No, instead I’m going to ask you to donate to the Epilepsy Foundation.
See, my best friend is epileptic. She means the world too me, and the idea that I might wake up one day and see a message from her that reads “hey, this is your friends dad. She had a seizure and hit her head (or something like that) and it doesn’t look like she’s going to make it past the night”….that idea fucking terrifies me. When I decided to write this part, I had a dream were this exact thing happened and I woke up crying a few hours latter. So, if you think I am just the coolest person ever and you want to do something nice for me, donating to the Epilepsy Foundation and helping bring an end to this nightmare is one of the best ways you could do it. Links to everything is down below.